Millingtons has a long and proud history that began with Harold Charles Millington who moved from Melbourne to care for his ageing mother in Hobart. Harold had a successful cabinet-making business in Melbourne and his reputation as a fine craftsman assured him of a thriving furniture business in Tasmania.
Well known as a professional cyclist with Australian road-racing titles under his belt, the active and entrepreneurial Harold was swiftly approached by Alex Clark to supply first-class Blackwood and Huon pine coffins. Incidentally, Harold’s late uncle had conducted funerals for the poor and destitute of Hobart around 1880 and Harold soon expanded into the funeral industry, opening the funeral firm H.C. Millington & Co in 1925.
With the approach of the depression, it became apparent that less Tasmanians were able to invest in expensive furniture, therefore Harold turned his attention to the funeral industry. By 1940, Harold and his daughter Betty (who later became Mrs. Christian Fuglsang) were running the business. Betty drove the mourning coach, making her the first Tasmanian female in the funeral service.
By 1950, Millingtons was the largest funeral company in Hobart. Although Harold had no sons, he persuaded his son-in-law Christian Fuglsang to join the industry, in the hope that Christian’s sons Peter and Christopher may join the company in later years. Before they were permitted to join they had to learn to make and French-polish coffins.
Peter and Christopher joined in 1958 and 1964 respectively. During 1958, Christian purchased property in Moonah, transforming a doctor’s residence into the first funeral home in Tasmania. Harold died in 1969 following 43 years of devoted service to the industry. Christian then became Managing Director and his sons, Peter and Christopher, continued in the industry, Peter becoming the Australian Funeral Director’s Association Federal President in 1980 and 1981.
In 2000, Millingtons purchased land at Mornington on Hobart’s eastern shore and constructed a large funeral centre and crematorium. The centre includes two chapels, large reception area, a mortuary built to hospital standards, crematorium and car parking for 150 vehicles.
Today, Millingtons employs 38 full time staff and 15 casual staff across four locations. The Head Office is located at Mornington and the company have a strong presence across southern Tasmania with the option for state-wide funeral services. The Fuglsang family sold Millingtons to private owners in 2015. Bridget Fuglsang is continuing the family tradition as the fourth generation family member to be employed as a funeral director by Millingtons.